1. Some 25,000 people were reported ______ in the ever recorded worst earthquake in Iran, which occurred late this month.
A. were killed B. to be killed
C. killing D. to have been killed
2._____ the teacher's suggestion, Tom finally found a way to settle the problem.
A. Following B. To follow C. Follow D. He followed
3.______ that no one was ever prepared for it.
A. So suddenly did the bad news come
B. So suddenly the bad news came
C. So did the bad news come suddenly
D. Did the bad news come so suddenly
4."______ the friendship between our two people last forever!", and with this sincere hope, the president concluded his speech.
A. Could B. May C. Would D. Must
5.We need a more capable leader, ______ with strong will and as well as good humour.
A. who B. that C. one D. which
6. Many people attend various public lectures, chiefly ______ themselves familiar with the latest development of different fields.
A. getting B. to get C. to have got D. got
7.It is no longer a problem _______ the poor children in this district can go to school.
A. that B. whether C. so D. because
8. Of all the applicants, ______ do you think is fit for the position?
A. who B. whoever C. whomever D. whichever
9.Part of the work is to be finished today and ______ by this weekend.
A. another B. the others C. the rest D. the other
10.Generally speaking, the hard one works, _______.
A. the better he gets result
B. the better result he gets
C. he gets better result
D. does he get better result
11.With the worldwide oil crisis, the price of oil has been raised ______ 15%.
A. about B. with C. of D. by
12. The lectures, ______ the current international issues, are well received.
A. are covered B. covered C. covering D. to cover
13. Peter is very angry about ______ of the changed timetable.
A. not informing
B. not being informed
C. being not informed
D. not to be informed
14.It is ______ that terrorism is a great threat to world peace.
A. widely accepted B. widely accepting
C. wide accepted D. wide accepting
15.The house built of stone lasts longer than ____ built of wood.
A. the one B. one C. that D. its
6.E-mail as well as telephones ____ more and more popular in daily communication.
A. have become B. become
C. are becoming D. is becoming
17.This kind of cloth ____ well.
A. washes B. wash C. is washed D. is washing
18.What do you mean ____ saying that you've never heard of it before?
A. in B. by C. as D. with
19. He's an intelligent boy. He ____ made such a foolish mistake.
A. can't have B. may not have
C. might not have D. mustn't have
20. Each of the engineers and professors is working hard at their posts, ____ to accomplish the goal as soon as possible.
A. wish B. for wishing C. wishing D. to wish
21. It is just as hard to persuade my wife not to dance ____ to keep me from the football field.
A. so it is B. as it is C. so is it D. as is it
22.It was dark and cold. They had to find a house ____ and some wood ____.
A. to stay in…to make a fire with
B. to stay…to make a fire with
C. to stay in…to make a fire
D. to stay…to make a fire
23 Some of the middle-aged people ____ to the meeting were famous professors.
A. were invited B. who invited C. inviting D. invited
24 Most green vegetables, ____ for too long, will lose nutrition.
A. if to be cooked B. if cooked C. if cooking D. if being cooked
25.____ you dislike ancient buildings, Warrick Castle is worth a visit.
A. As B. If C. Even if D. Now that
26.____ the expense, I ____ a round-the-world tour.
A. Were it not … would take
B. If it were not… take
C. Weren't it for… will take
D. If it hadn't been for… would have taken
27. ____ from the top of the mountain, the whole city looks beautiful.
A. Seen B. Seeing C. See D. Looked
28. ____ the essay a second time, the hidden meaning will become clearer to you.
A. While reading B. After reading
C. Your having read D. When you read
29.____ impressed the visitors deeply was ____ the workers made with their hands.
A. What…that B. That…that
C. What…what D. That…what
30. The newspaper's owner and editor ___ away on holiday.
A. is B. are C. be D. have been
31.Recent estimates show that ___ more than two million bird-watchers in the United States.
A. there are among B. are there the
C. there are D. among the
32.Ellis Haizlip began his stage career in Washington, D.C., ___ supervised the Howard University Players during their summer season.
A. he was B. where he was
C .which he D. where he
33.Some people hold that the more conservative the world becomes, have old furniture, old houses and old paintings.
A. the smarter is to
B. the smarter it is to
C. is it the smarter so
D. is one to the smarter
34. She was just about to explain ___ she hadn't passed her maths test chiefly out of carelessness ___ her uncle came.
A. her mother … when
B. to her mother why that
C. her mother that … when
D. to her mother that … when
35.With the shining water before you and the wind ___ , trees behind you, you can not help ___.
A. blown … but feel relaxed
B. blowing … feeling relaxed
C. blown … but feel relaxing
D. blowing … but feel relaxing
36. "Will you be able to finish the job this week?" " ___ ."
A. I can't say it B. I don't know that C. I'm not sure this D. I don't expect so
37.It's impossible for a child to do so much work within a short period of time, ________ ?
A. isn't it B. is it C. has it D. hasn't it
38. _______ that Mr Thomson got such rare fishes
A. When and where was it
B. When and where it was
C. Was it when and where
D. When and where were it
39. Only after a baby seal is pushed into the sea by its mother ___ to swim.
A. how will it learn B. it will learn how
C. will it learn how D. and it will learn how
40. Peter and Bob both did well, but Peter is ___ of the two.
A. more talented B. the most talented C. most talented D. the more talented
1. D 當不定式所表示的動作先于謂語動詞所表示的動作時，不定式用完成時，且kill與邏輯主語people之間是被動關系，故選D
2. A Following做伴隨狀語，修飾 found。伴隨狀語只有兩種形式，主動用 following 形式;被動用followed形式
3. A 本句測試的是so---ad.---that…結果狀語從句的倒裝結構，即so – ad.提到主語之前，主句用部分倒狀。
4. B May用在第二，三人稱的疑問式結構中表示"祝愿"。
5. C one做 leader的同位語
7. A 句中it是形式主語，代替 that引導的主語從句。
9. C 在四個選項中只有the rest可以代替可數名詞或不可數名詞，其它三個只代替可數名詞。上句work是不可數名詞，所以答案是C.
11. D by加百分數或表示數量的名詞，表示"相差的程度"。
14. A 副詞widely表示比喻含義"廣泛地";而副詞wide表示具體含義"寬地，完全地"
15. C不定冠詞 a 限定名詞時，下文one用來代替;而定冠詞the限定名詞時，下文that用來代替
17. A read, start, write等不及物動詞加上方式狀語或半系動詞feel, taste, look等加表語形容詞，在英語中是主動形式，而表示漢語中被動意義。
22. A 動詞不定式to live in和to make a fire with分別作定語修飾a house和some wood,與被修飾的名詞構成了動賓關系，所以動詞不定式用及物動詞或不及物動詞加介詞構成的相當于及物動詞的短語動詞。
25. C 主句與從句之間是讓步關系，所以用even if.
26. D 與過去事實相反的虛擬語氣。
28. D 非謂語動詞做狀語，其邏輯主語是句中主語。The hidden meaning不能執行read的動作，所以排除AB，C項屬于動名詞獨立主格結構，在句中做主語。
30. A and連接兩個名詞表示"一副，一雙，一套等或一個人兼兩個職務，即用一個冠詞或物主代詞限定兩個名詞做主語，謂語用單數形式。
34. D explain/ announce等后面的結構是～ sth. to sb.或～ to sb. sth.，to 不可省略。
36. D I don't expect so.= I expect not. 能這樣使用的動詞還有 Believe, think和 suppose;而在hope等動詞后，否定形式只有 I hope not.不能說 I don't hope so.
38. A 強調句
39. C only加狀語提到主句前面時，主句中主語和謂語用部分倒裝。